Gateway City Parks Program
Since 1630, Lynn has had a common. In the 19th century, when Lynn was the shoe capital of the world, the city refined the shape of the 10 acre common to look like the sole of a shoe. Our master plan recommended a walking loop with mile markers and LED lights; a rehabilitated bandstand, fountain and comfort station. The City addressed the structural problems of the Frederick Douglass Bandstand first. The Bandstand was re-named in 1944 to honor Frederick Douglass, an ex-slave, who lived in Lynn from 1841 to 1845 and devoted his life to the abolition of slavery.
Client
Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs
City of Lynn
Architect
McGinley Kalsow & Associates
Engineer
Fay, Spofford & Thorndike, Inc. (Now Stantec)
Photographer
Shawn Hogan
Lynn Common Bandstand, Historic Postcard 1905
Lynn Common Bandstand, Historic Postcard 1905