Historic
Winthrop Park Cambridge
Winthrop Park Restoration, Cambridge, MA
Located on the site of the Newtowne Marketplace established in 1631, Winthrop Park has been in continuous public use for three-and-a-half centuries. Recognizing the site’s significance and its potential as a green space in the heart of Cambridge, a public private partnership hired Brown, Richardson + Rowe to design a historic restoration of Winthrop Square with new paths, fencing and trees. Led by the Program on Public Space Partnerships, a strategy was developed for the design, funding and maintenance of the park. Today, the park is a lively urban space.
Client
The Cambridge Community Development Office, the Cambridge Historic Commission and the Winthrop Park Trust, Inc
Sculptor
Carlos Dorrien
Award
Honor Award from the Boston Society of Landscape Architects - 1988
Winthrop Park Restoration, Cambridge, MA
Cambridge landscape architects