Salem Station, the third busiest station in the commuter rail system, needed additional parking spaces for commuters. BRR teamed with Fennick/McCredie Architecture (FMA) to design a circulation system with two new accessible pedestrian gathering places as part of a new 714 space parking garage project.
One of these two gathering places is next to the main entry and the other is above the North River. The new circular seating is made out of the historic granite blocks that were salvaged from an 1888 Boston and Maine Railroad roundhouse found beneath the site slated for the new garage. Archaeologists mapped the roundhouse before the MBTA removed the granite to allow for the new garage pilings. The T’s decision to reuse the blocks led to the creation of a marvelous and sustainable urban space.
The project also included a fully accessible high-level platform, platform canopy, waiting room, bicycle storage and a new accessible ramp from the Bridge Street/Washington Street intersection to the station platform. Native shade trees, evergreen windbreaks, perennials and hardy salt tolerant shrubs will provide a comfortable pedestrian environment for station users.